• We encourage all our participants to travel alone, initially. Please note that you will have to dedicate a lot of time to learn the teacher requirements of your host school district, rapid adaptability to the culture, understand the laws and regulations. An optimum time is three months before you can request the DS-2019 for your dependents, ideally we prefer to review your first professional evaluation. After a satisfactory evaluation we will ask you to complete and mail the Dependent Information Form to Intalage. The fees listed on the form are subject to change.
  • Please inform the office immediately after your dependents arrive in the USA.
  • They will be added to the health insurance plan.
  • Also, to obtain the Employment Authorization Document (work permit) for your spouse, please follow the steps outlined below:

J-2 work permits are obtained from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) through an application process that takes an average of 3 months. Employment may not begin until the J-2 has received the work permit, which is called the Employment Authorization Document (EAD).

The EAD allows the J-2 dependent to work in any job, full-time or part-time.  The employment cannot extend beyond the end date on the EAD. Extensions of the EAD are possible, up to the end date on the DS-2019. Please note that the extension process also takes an average of 3 months, so plan ahead if employment needs to be continuous (without any gaps between work authorization periods).

Application Process

To apply for an EAD, mail the items listed below to USCIS (address below). Photocopy the application packet for record keeping.

  • $380 Check
    • The fee must be the correct amount or the application will be returned. Check or money orders must be made payable to “U.S. Department of Homeland Security.” A name and address must be printed on the check; temporary checks are not allowed. 
  • I-765 Form 
    • Print this form from the USCIS web site. Complete the form and don’t forget to sign at the bottom (with blue ink). The signature must stay between the lines.
      • On item #9, leave blank if J-2 does not have a Social Security Number.
      • On item #16, write in the code, "(C)(5)( )".
  • DS-2019s                       
    • Photocopies (not original) of both the J-1 and J-2 DS-2019 forms.
  • I-94 (J-2)                      
    • Photocopy. The I-94 can be either the paper I-94 card stapled in the passport (make copy of both sides) or the electronic I-94 record found at if you received a passport admission stamp.
  • Passport photos (2)                      
    • See instructions on the U.S. Department of State web site. Lightly print your name and I-94 number on the back of each photo in case they get separated from the application.
  • J-2 Work Permission Letter (see example)
  • Financial Documentation             
    • Photocopy of funding documentation used to obtain the J-2 visa.
  • J-2 Biographical Data          
    • Photocopy of biographical page in the J-2’s passport.
  • Proof of Marriage                        
  • For an extension/renewal of a work permit (average processing time of 3 months), include all of the above items and a photocopy of previous EAD card(s). Please note that a renewal application cannot be filed more than 120 days before the current EAD expires.

Mailing the Application to the USCIS

Send the application to the appropriate address, depending on the type of mail service you use - USPS Priority Mail (Recommended) or Express Mail (Federal Express, UPS, etc.) 

If you live in the following states (Alabama, Arkansas, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Mississippi, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Texas, Vermont, Virginia, U.S. Virgin Islands, or West Virginia) send your paper application to:

USPS (Priority Mail Recommended):
PO Box 660867
Dallas, TX 75266


Express Mail (Federal Express, UPS, etc.):
Attn: AOS
2501 S. Slate Hwy. 121 Business
Suite 400
Lewisville, TX 75067

If you live in the following states (Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, North Dakota, Ohio, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington, Wisconsin, Wyoming, Guam, or the Northern Mariana Islands) send your completed paper application with supporting documents to:

USPS (Priority Mail Recommended):
PO Box 21281
Phoenix, AZ 85036


Express Mail (Federal Express, UPS, etc.):
Attn: AOS
1820 E. Skyharbor Circle S
Suite 100
Phoenix, AZ 85034


To receive an e-mail and/or a text message that the application has been accepted at USCIS, complete Form G-1145, E-Notification of Application/Petition Acceptance and attach it to the top of the application.

I-797 Receipt "Notice of Action"

Within 2-6 weeks of submitting the application to USCIS, a I-797 Receipt Notice should arrive via mail.  Use the receipt number (beginning with “WAC” if you are applying through the California Service Center) to check the status of the application (case) online.  To check the status of the case, please visit the USCIS Case State Service Online.